Monday, January 19, 2009

Sipi Falls











Last weekend we visited Sipi Falls. This 100 meter high water fall is located in south eastern Uganda and less than 25miles from the Kenyan border. Over lunch we had the opportunity to view the water fall from afar, appreciating its beauty and anticipating our jump off of it. Well, more like a controlled fall from its top (aka a type of repelling).

After lunch we drove over to its top. People looked pretty confident going up to the cliffs edge. By the time they were hooked up to the rope, though, everyone’s confidence seemed to waver.

Personally, I was doing okay until they told me to climb over the edge of the cliff. I could feel this nervous energy taking over my body. Surprisingly, only after I started walking down the cliff side did I begin to feel better. About a quarter of the way down, the cliff juts in. From then on, I was lowered down. Slowly, I spun around on my 1 inch wide rope. The lush green valley stretched before me, while mist from the falls drifted onto me.

As beautiful as it was, I have to admit, it felt pretty good to have my feet hit the ground afterwards. Heights are not my forte, but I wanted my classmates back home to get the full benefit of my Ugandan experience. The things I do for you people!

1 comment:

  1. Joy! This all sounds so amazing! I can't get over how beautiful it all is. Keep posting - you make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete